How to fix: Diablo 3 “Blizzard Update Agent has stopped working”
In a rather interesting blog post today, Rick Brewster (the developer of Paint.NET) sheds light on an interesting bug in Diablo III setup program. Apparently, Blizzard Update Agent does not support multiprocessor systems. Rick has solved this problem by manually adjusting the processor affinity of the setup program.
Interestingly enough, Rick describes his epiphany as “some Raymond Chen style psychic insight”. Smart readers definitely know the difference between that and some Mark Russinovich-style psychic insight. From a scientific point of view, at this point of time, these two are different.
I finally succumbed and bought a copy of Diablo 3 today, only to found out that it just doesn’t work:
Argh! No matter what I did, it would always crash. Every single time, over and over and over and over again.
In a last act of desperation before borrowing the DVD from a friend to try and load it that way, I had some Raymond Chen style psychic insight and thought it might be a multithreading bug. You see, I just put together a brand new Dual Xeon E5-2687W system. It is a beast: dual processor, 8 cores each, with HyperThreading. That means Task Manager shows 32 tiny little performance graphs. It makes compiling Paint.NET really fast (lots of C++/CLI these days), and is killer for working on all that multithreaded rendering code.
Anyway, the fix is a bit clumsy but it seems to work (so far! we’ll see if…
View original post 321 more words